A second night of protests in the United States against President-elect Donald Trump has turned violent
Several thousand demonstrators took to the streets in the western city. Shop and car windows were smashed and police declared the protest a riot, BBC reports.
Protesters threw firecrackers and a large rubbish bin was set alight.
Demonstrations took place for a second night in a swathe of US cities but were smaller than on Wednesday night.
They were mainly young people saying a Trump presidency would create deep divisions along racial and gender lines.
Police in Portland accused some protesters of smashing shop windows, carrying bats and arming themselves with rocks.
Mr Trump also criticised the protesters after his meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House.
There were no reports of violence at the other protests, although demonstrators in Minneapolis briefly blocked an interstate highway in both directions.
In Philadelphia crowds gathered near City Hall holding placards bearing slogans such as "Not Our President", "Trans Against Trump" and "Make America Safe For All".
In Baltimore, police said a peaceful crowd of 600 people marched through the city, blocking traffic. In San Francisco high school students waved rainbow banners and Mexican flags.
A small crowd also gathered outside Trump Tower in Chicago, a day after thousands marched through the city centre. Some passers-by cheered them but at least one driver shouted that they should "shut up and accept democracy", the Associated Press news agency reported.
Protesters also returned to Trump Tower in New York for a second night.
Meanwhile Mexico's president said he was optimistic his country could have a positive relationship with the US under Mr Trump, despite his anti-Mexican rhetoric during the campaign.
Enrique Pena Nieto said he and Trump had agreed to meet, possibly during the transition period before Mr Trump's inauguration in January.
In Russia, President Putin's spokesman said Mr Trump and Mr Putin were "very much alike" in how they see the world.
Dmitry Peskov said Russian experts had been in contact with some members of Mr Trump's staff during the campaign.
But he said the Russian government had nothing to do with the theft of emails from the Democratic campaign that were later published by the transparency organisation Wikileaks.