‘We Remember, We Are Proud!’
The Victory Day has become a symbol of will and courage of people united against the common misfortune as well as an eternal reminder of importance of peacekeeping. The 5th International auto expedition titled "The Time Watch" dedicated to the Second World War heroes took place in Uralsk . The expedition started from the Memorial House Museum of the Soviet Union Hero, Manshuk Mametova. The expedition members head to Moscow, Rzhev, Velikiye Luki, Novosokolniki, Pskov and Nevel. The Kazakh delegation which includes the museum staff, students and teachers joined the Russian team working in the Pskov forests. The Second World War heroes died and were buried in this region, including legendary machine gunner and sniper, Manshuk Mametova and Aliya Moldagulova.
VENIAMIN SKALENKO, WWII VETERAN:
- This is not necessary for the dead or for us. This is necessary for the young people. Youngsters should be educated on heroism of Manshuk Mametova, military actions and patriotism.
SVETLANA BEKTENOVA, DIRECTOR, MEMORIAL HOUSE MUSEUM OF MANSHUK MAMETOVA:
- Today's expedition is not a typical one. Delegates will visit the battlefields, do excavations and camp in the Pustoshka town at the Nevelsky district. Today, in 2018, there is a camp of the Gvozdika search group from the cities of Khabarovsk, Smolensk and Kaluga.
Meanwhile, Semey hosted a patriotic campaign titled "We Remember, We Are Proud!" The schoolchildren prepared a festive concert, theatrical performances, dances and songs related to the war. Veterans held a minute of silence in tribute to the memory of heroes and laid flowers at the "No One Is Forgotten, Nothing Is Forgotten” memorial. The exhibition of applied art dedicated to the holy memory of heroes was organized.
LARISA REVENKO, TEACHER, BOARDING SCHOOL №4:
- The campaign has a huge educational value because by recreating some of the scenes from the Second World War, children can emotionally feel all the tragedy of those events and understand the atmosphere of the war.
GABDULGAZIZ AKHMEROV, WWII VETERAN:
- We paid for our victory. Today, the older generation still remember those years. Well, the celebration of the Day of Victory on May 9th is passed from generation to generation. We mark the 73rd anniversary. Undoubtedly, life has been improved.
More than 250 photos of the Second World War veterans have been collected in one of the Aktau city's websites. Activists created a web page where people can upload pictures of their relatives and friends who fought in the war and workers of the home front. People can also upload reward sheets, extracts from archives as well as talk about veterans’ combat routes and biographies. Last year, the project is popular among users. Every day, more than 100 people visit the website. The creator of the idea said that people remember the heroes and their acts of bravery.
MARINA KUZNETSOVA, WEBSITE EDITOR:
- We have a function which allows people not only to add information about their veterans, but also to thank them. There is a section "Say thank you to a veteran" and there are already a lot of comments of appreciation. We consider it very important that such words are voiced.