Anthology of Kazakh literature in French
The works of the best Kazakh authors will be translated into French. The best publishing houses of Europe will handle the translation and promotion of the collections. As part of the Modernization of Kazakhstan’s Identity program, tales, novels and poems gathered in two anthologies will be available in the largest libraries and the most prestigious universities of Paris, Lyon and Nice. The books will be found in all the French-speaking countries covering the audience of 220 million people.
THIERRY DE LA CROIX, FOUNDER, ‘MICHEL DE MAULE’ PUBLISHING HOUSE:
- Knowing the popularity of Kazakhstan in the international arena, I think, it is very important to present the culture of Kazakhstan to the world. It is very important for the French people because we want to learn more about your literature. Many people, including students, professors and travelers will be interested in your country.
CARLA ARIGONI, PRESIDENT, CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF PARIS:
- I think this project is wonderful. We already know your talented artists, singers and dancers, but we are not familiar with your literature yet. We believe that it will be a wonderful poem that we will be happy to discover for ourselves. We have a great desire to learn more about you country.
Every anthology contains the works of 30 authors, including both classical and modern writers and poets. Many of them are laureates of prestigious awards. The organizers are planning to attract the best linguists and translators for the translation of the works. The main requirement for the foreign professionals is to preserve the style and convey the depth of the Kazakh peoples’ souls. The Kazakh delegation held dozens of meetings and negotiations with the managers of the largest publishing houses of France. As a result, they signed two memorandums in Paris.
AIDA BALAYEVA, SECRETARY, NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF MODERNIZATION OF KAZAKHSTAN’S IDENTITY PROGRAM:
- Translation works will be completed by 2019. We will be able to publish the first proof copy by the second anniversary of Modernization of Kazakhstan’s Identity program. We set the target of having certain results and holding the copies of our anthologies of prose and poetry in April.
LAURENT TAIEB, DIRECTOR, ‘PRESTIGE COMMUNICATION’ AGENCY:
- We signed a memorandum that forms the basis for our cooperation and we are happy to guide the project. You have a rich cultural heritage. It is very timely to publish books that will promote your culture abroad.
Besides French, the anthologies of the modern Kazakh literature will be translated into English, Russian, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese and will be published in the United Kingdom and Spain. The Kazakh delegation also reached agreements with the reputable organizations in these countries.
RAUAN KENZHEKHANULY, DIRECTOR, NATIONAL TRANSLATIONS BUREAU:
- For instance, there is the British Council in the English-speaking countries. According to its recommendations, Cambridge University Press publishing house agreed to be the main partner and publisher of this project. They are involved in translation, editing, pre-printing preparation, printing and dissemination not only in the United Kingdom, but also in all the countries where the English language has an official status.
Thus, the Europeans will have an opportunity to discover Kazakhstan through literature and to learn more about the Kazakh culture and traditions.