TV archives: Yesterday and today
This footage is a living testimony to the development of domestic television. That's how the new branch was born, and the first professional film frames appeared. The rest is history. All stages of domestic broadcasting development is carefully documented and stored in the archives of a video library. The library allows the young generation of people to get a glimpse into history of television.
VHS, Betacam, Betacam SP. Some 20 years ago filming crews used these tape cameras for professional video recording. Today, these are carefully stored on the shelves of the video archive of the country’s national broadcaster Khabar Agency. They are divided into genres, themes and chronological segments. This fund is more than an archive - it is a memory kept on a film, says the veteran journalist Moldabek Sagymbek.
MOLDBAEK SAGYMBEK, VETERAN JOURNALIST:
- Back then we used to record the video and the sound separately. After filming, we had to remove the video tape from the projector and dry it. This process took several days and only then we could start video editing. Then we called it simply, in short, an editing table. After we examined the videotape, the necessary places were cut manually, and the unnecessary ones were thrown out. If necessary, of course, the recordings were saved.
Today in the archive of the agency stores over 12 thousand video recordings. Every day, the video fund is replenished with fresh films shot by the staff of four television channels, members of the broadcaster. Most of the tape recording have already been digitized.
ASEM TULENTAYEVA, HEAD OF VIDEO LIBRARY, KHABAR AGENCY:
- In 2016, we established a digitalization commission at the Khabar Agency. We digitize all the broadcast content. To date, we have digitalized the news recordings of 1996-1997 and all the episodes of the analytical program "Zheti Kun". Now we, we are working on the digital archive software called ‘Dalet,’ and we have also reintroduced a software titled "Sinegy", to be able to digitalize our archives.
The newest technologies, applied now, will allow saving thousands of gigabytes of information for the next generations. And in a few decades today’s video frames and stills will turn into a historical asset of the country.
101 projects are under implementation in Zhambyl Region as part of the Public Consciences Modernization program. Their total cost is almost 3 billion tenge. Most of the funds will be allocated by patrons of the region. With their support, 26 projects have already been implemented since the beginning of the year.
LEILA OSENBAEVA, MANAGER, ‘ATAMEKEN’ PROGRAM:
- Local patrons and businessmen are planning to invest 2.4 billion dollars for construction of socially important facilities. Now the construction of the sports complex is underway in the city of Taraz, the works are complete by 60%. The new facility will be donated for the public use. The locals will have a great sporting facility.
15 projects are being implemented in Zhualy district of the Zhambyl region. 58 million tenge were allocated for reconstruction of buildings and organization of cultural events. The local officials are working on developing a touristic route to the homeland of war hero and writer Bauyrzhan Momyshuly and opening a house museum dedicated to his legacy.
AMANZHOL DURALIULY, LOCAL RESIDENT:
- This site is only 1000 meters from a highway. We have already developed the draft project. Here we make a fence. There are two springs. Therefore, a large dam will be built to make the water rise. This year, 2 hectares of land will be fenced. For this, the local governor allocated 4.5 million tenge.
Regional history museum will open here soon for the first time. Today, the exhibition items are being donated by the local residents. The collection now has a thousand rare exhibits.
MARAT NARYMBEKOV, STAFF, INTERNAL POLICY DEPARTMENT OF ZHUALY DISTRICT:
- Local residents and NGOs have common vision. The district will allocate 58 million tenge for the implementation of these projects.
Residents of the region actively support the implementation of the projects of social, cultural and historical importance. They are sure, that this will help uplift the local population and make them proud of their homeland.