CZECH REPUBLIC AT EXPO 2017
This small country has great opportunities. The Czech Republic showcased the latest and unique green energy solutions at EXPO 2017. On the first floor of the Czech pavilion, visitors can see a plane and a bus running on electricity, a smart house that generates power and monitors its consumption and other scientific developments. There are also some interactive exhibits on the second floor. The country that occupies the territory smaller than North Kazakhstan region is developing alternative energy sources. 15% of electricity is generated from renewables in the Czech Republic. By 2020, the Czech Republic intends to increase this figure to 20%. Pavilion commissioner Jan Krs told about the country’s developments.
JAN KRS, CZECH EXPO PAVILION COMMISSIONER:
- I would like to focus on a few most interesting exhibits. What we see on the left looks like a recycling plant. But in fact, this is a power plant that works on the waste pyrolysis technology. Gas and oil can be used for energy purposes. What is interesting in this plant is that the energy balance, that is, the energy that enters and which is obtained, is positive. This is very important for the development of the waste recycling industry. Additional energy can be used for other purposes.
- I would like you to look up, there is a sports plane running on electricity, it has rechargeable batteries, and it can fly for about an hour. It flies 180-200 kilometers. This is a prototype development and will be further improved.
- On the right hand side, you can see a bicycle. It attracts visitors’ attention. In fact, it is an engineering joke. It was developed by a company that makes electric bicycles. But this bicycle can fly. With a person weighing 80 kilograms it can stay in the air for 5-10 minutes. I think it is one of a kind. We haven’t heard about any other flying bicycles.
- Here we have combined the old and the new. This electric bicycle can be folded. You know, simple bicycles were popular in the 1960s. Our bicycle manufacturing company has introduced a small, but smart and innovative solution. It is very convenient. You can fit it in the trunk of the car or enter the bus.
- This is a modernized thermal power station. We have strict requirements for thermal power plants in the Czech Republic. This thermal power plant has no waste at all. There is no pipe, there is only a tower that cools the air. I think this is a very interesting development for Kazakhstan because many thermal power plants require modernization here.
- I am very glad that our government decided to approve the participation of our country at EXPO 2017 in Astana. We have an opportunity to show success in energy innovations.
- As for EXPO, it was organized very well. The circular shape of expo town, lets you access every building, the architecture is beautiful. Many things are easier here than in Milan.
- I'd like to invite you all, so welcome to the Czech pavilion.
Many visitors come to see the Czech pavilion. More than 200,000 people have already visited it.