Exhibition dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the Semipalatinsk nuclear test site closure opened in Almaty. It features previously unpublished documents of independent Kazakhstan in the struggle for a nuclear-free world. Among the exhibits there are letters from citizens asking for the termination of tests in the country, as well as rare photos of the first tests, which took place on August 29 in 1949. In just over 40 years, there were about 450 nuclear tests on the site. After its closure on August 29, 1991 Kazakhstan voluntarily renounced nuclear weapons.

 

Boris DZHAPAROV, DIRECTOR, KAZAKH PRESIDENT’S ARCHIVE:

 

Nuclear test sites and role and initiatives of Head of State on the test site closure are among main areas of promotion of our archives. Previously we have already been working on this program. We held traveling exhibitions in Semipalatinsk, Astana and Almaty. This year we present this exhibition in full, expanded form ahead of the 25th anniversary.

 

Photo: egemen.kz

Нашли ошибку в тексте? Выделите её мышкой и нажмите: Ctrl + Enter



Related

Comments